Sunday 21 August 2011

Carpet Ahoy!!

After insulating and cleaning the inside of my van, the next job was to carpet the inside panels and as much of the metalwork that I could. I bought dark grey acoustic cloth from Mega Van Mats. The guy who owns this is really helpful with info on how to carpet the interior of your van, and also offers a lining service if you don't have the confidence to do yourself.

So here is my work, the first panel I attempted was the largest one, as I mentioned I bought the acoustic cloth, the reason I did is because it is a 4 way stretch material and therefore easy to stretch around all of the nooks and crannies of a van. Pictured below, you can see that I have attached the carpet to the panel, I did this using spray glue purchased from a local carpet shop. I laid the panel on the floor and rolled the carpet out over the top and then cut roughly to size. Next I rolled up the piece I had cut to size and then sprayed a section of wood and then a section of carpet and then rolled the carpet onto the already glued wood and then repeated the process until I had got to the end of the panel.


The next thing to do was to tidy the panel up, I roughly cut around the edge of the panel and then folded the edges over and glued them on to the back of the panel. As I have mentioned I used the acoustic cloth because of its ease of use and this is really apparent below as this was the first time I have ever carpeted anything and the result was pretty good (if I do say so myself)


I used the same method on all of my panels including the ones in the rear doors and side doors.


The last picture is inside my van looking at the sliding door panels although I'm not sure it will show up as I took it with my phone and the light was bad!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment